I’ve been watching a lot of Netflix during the quarantine (who hasn’t) and one of the shows I recently came across was Nadiya’s Time To Eat. The show’s host is Season 6 winner of The Great British Baking Show, and it is all about easy and quick recipes. One of the recipes that really stuck out to me were these tortilla breakfast rolls.
This recipe is so easy to customize and I’ve changed the fillings a bit from what Nadiya did in the episode. These tortilla breakfast rolls are like a mix between an omelet and a breakfast burrito. If you have trouble flipping an omelet, then you wont have trouble with this. By the way, this recipe is completely vegetarian, but if you wanted something more meaty there are variations at the bottom of this page.
My recipe uses simple popular home ingredients. Eggs, a tortilla, chopped red onion, and chopped green pepper. Of course there are spices like salt, pepper, and garlic powder. And to top it all off, some freshly grated cheese. I used Red Leicester which is quite similar to a traditional cheddar.
The recipe starts just like a classic French omelet, by pouring beaten egg into a hot buttered pan. Then I sprinkle in the chopped red onion and peppers. This recipe goes quickly so from start to finish it’ll take less than 5 minutes. As soon as you sprinkle the onion and pepper on the eggs, sprinkle on the grated cheese.
Put the tortilla on as soon as you are done adding the ingredients. The tortilla will meld to the liquid egg stabilizing the entire thing. Once you have pressed in the tortilla into the egg you can flip the whole thing. Just griddle the tortilla for 30 seconds or so, then slide everything onto a cutting board.
Roll up the tortilla breakfast rolls and cut them in half. You can wrap them in foil before you cut them if you want to bring them on the go. Also, you can press the roll back into the hot pan to seal it closed.
Tortilla Breakfast Roll Variations
- Turkey Sausage and Feta
- Italian Sausage and Basil
- Mushroom and Onion
- Hot Peppers and Blue Cheese
Tortilla Breakfast Rolls
- 1 large Tortilla
- 3 Eggs beaten
- 1/4 medium Red Onion chopped
- 1 tbsp Pepper chopped. You can use spicy like jalapeno or mild like bell, it's up to you
- 25 grams Cheese Cheddar works exceptionally well
- 1 pinch Black Pepper freshly cracked
- 1 pinch Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder optional
- 1 tbsp Butter
- In a bowl beat the eggs until they are mixed. Put a pan on high heat and add the butter. When it is just fully melted pour in all the eggs.
- Immediately sprinkle in the onion and pepper, followed by the grated cheese. Sprinkle in your spices now.
- Place the tortilla right on top of the eggs and press it into the still liquid eggs. Shake the pan to make sure the eggs aren't sticking to the bottom (they shouldn't because of the butter) and as soon as you see the eggs set around the tortilla give a good hard flip. Or you can use the plate trick if you don't want to flip the contents of the pan.
- Slide onto a cutting board and roll it up tightly. Cut in half, plate and enjoy.
- Alternative: Place the contents onto a sheet of foil, roll up and wrap in foil, place back in the hot pan and press down with a spatula (or another pan). Now you have a sealed tortilla breakfast roll to go!