Whenever I’m hosting a dinner party I ALWAYS serve canapes. These one or two bite hors d’oeuvres are usually just a few ingredients on top of a piece of bread. Not at all unlike the famous Barcelona pinchos! These sweet potato crostini are great because they are served cold and can be made in advance!
One of the best things about crostini is you can easily change things up. For example if you don’t like one of the ingredients I use, use something else! The goal is just to find flavors that taste great and go well together!
Sweet Potato Crostini Ingredients
For this sweet potato crostini recipe I am using some homemade mashed sweet potatoes. If you don’t happen to have any sweet potato mash left over, just boil a couple taters for 20-30 minutes and mash them up with some butter and salt!
250 grams Mashed Sweet Potatoes – you can use leftovers of a side dish mash you made, or make some freshly mashed sweet potatoes just for this recipe.
1 Baguette – you can use any bread you want, but I find a good baguette to always work in crostini recipes.
120 grams Camembert – you can use any soft, molded cheese you like, or even hard cheese if you desire. I just love how a good mild camembert really advances the rest of the ingredients.
2 tbsp Fig Jam – Just like with the cheese, you can use any jam you want. I like fig jam, but any berry jam will work great in this recipe
How To Make Crostini
When making crostini I find slicing the bread on a bit of a bias (diagonal) just makes for better presentation. I aim for about 1-1.5 centimeters thick. Cut the bread and then fry in a bit of oil or butter until browned.
Finally you can build your sweet potato crostini. Just schmear a bit of the sweet potato mash, add a layer of camembert, and then a tiny dollop of fig jam. The jam is very sweet so I really only recommend about 1/2 a teaspoon per crostini (the ones in the back had far too much).
Sweet Potato Crostini
- 1 Bread Knife
- 250 grams Mashed Sweet Potatoes you can use leftovers of a side dish mash you made or make some freshly mashed sweet potatoes just for this recipe.
- 1 Baguette you can use any bread you want but I find a good baguette to always work in crostini recipes.
- 120 grams Camembert you can use any soft molded cheese you like, or even hard cheese if you desire. I just love how a good mild camembert really advances the rest of the ingredients.
- 2 tbsp Fig Jam Just like with the cheese you can use any jam you want. I like fig jam, but any berry jam will work great in this recipe
- Butter or Oil for frying the bread
- Cut your bread on a slight bias/diagonal and fry for a bit in a pan with hot oil or butter.
- Remove the bread and top with a smear of sweet potato mash, a slice of cheese, and a tiny little dollop of jam.
- Garnish with a chive or green onion and serve!
Sweet Potato Crostini
Popular Hors d’Oeuvres
This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through the links it allows the site to make money at no additional cost to you. For more information please see Cooking To Entertain’s Policy page.
Leave a Reply