It seems like every household has their go to pancake recipe, whether that be from box or scratch. Not only do my super easy pancakes ‘take the cake’ if you will, they only take a few minutes to whip up completely from scratch!
This pancake recipe is one of the easiest and most basic versions you will find. Which makes it so easy to use as a base for customizations. Want chocolate chip pancakes? Just toss them in this pancake batter. What about with nuts? Same method, just toss them in.
Of course, not everyone wants tons of extras in their pancakes. Some people just want that classic American style flapjack or silver dollar – with possibly a dab of good butter and maple syrup!
What Are ‘American Style’ Pancakes?
Believe it or not, pancakes are not native to the good ol’ US of A, at least not in the base sense. The idea of a quick fried batter bread has roots in plenty of countries, from China to India to Ethiopia. However there is the ‘American Style‘ pancake that we all know and love. This version is quite airy and fluffy, perfect with that sugary sweet breakfast American’s love.
Of course, nothing comes close to the fluffiness of Japanese pancakes which are more like souffles. And don’t confuse the breakfast version with something more savory like some Korean Prawn And Scallion Pancakes.
How To Make Super Easy Pancakes
While this recipe does have 7 ingredients, they are all likely stuff you already have. That’s what makes these super easy pancakes such a good dish to know by memory – you can whip some up whenever you feel like it.
125 grams Flour (1 cup) – AP flour works perfect in this recipe, so no need for anything fancy.
5 grams Baking Powder – this is the secret to fluffy American style pancakes. 5 grams is about two teaspoons but if you use a bit more or less it is okay. I use 5 grams because that’s how much come in the packet and I don’t like leaving partial packets in a drawer.
3 tbsp Sugar – white, granulated
265 ml Milk (1 cup + 1 tbsp) – 2%, 2.5%, or 3% milk works best, if you use a low fat milk the pancakes will have a more muted flavor. If you are using fillings or toppings then it does not matter much.
2 pinches Salt
1 tbsp Sunflower Oil – or other neutral oil
1 large Egg
In a large bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients. Then add the wet and whisk just until combined. You don’t want any lumps, but you DO NOT want to overmix. If you do then your pancakes will not be as fluffy as possible.
Lightly grease a pan or griddle and bring up to medium-high heat. Scoop a tablespoon of batter onto the hot pan. When you see lots of bubbles rise and pop, flip the pancakes with a spatula. The cook time really depends on your temperature, but I tend to fry pancakes about 30 seconds on the first side, and 15 on the second. This gets me a perfect golden brown pancake.
Pancake Serving Tips
🥞 The Classic: A dab of butter and a healthy drizzle of maple syrup.
🥞 Seasonal Fresh Fruits: Slice up some strawberries or peaches to throw on top of the pancakes. Dust with powdered sugar for an extra bit of sweetness.
🥞 Jams, Compotes, & Preserves: Whether store bought or homemade, you don’t need to worry about the season when using jams, compotes, & preserves. One of my go-tos is an easy blackcurrant compote since blackcurrants are available year round in the freezer section!
🥞 Dessert Spreads: If you really have a sweet tooth then top your super easy pancakes with popular dessert spreads like Nutella or Cookie-Butter. My recipe for White Chocolate Cheesecake Pancakes will give you a sugar rush lasting until the next day!
Super Easy Pancakes
- 1 Bowl
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Pan or Griddle
- 125 grams Flour 1 cup – AP flour works perfect in this recipe, so no need for anything fancy.
- 5 grams Baking Powder this is the secret to fluffy American style pancakes. 5 grams is about two teaspoons but if you use a bit more or less it is okay. I use 5 grams because that's how much come in the packet and I don't like leaving partial packets in a drawer.
- 3 tbsp Sugar white, granulated
- 265 ml Milk 1 cup + 1 tbsp – 2%, 2.5%, or 3% milk works best, if you use a low fat milk the pancakes will have a more muted flavor. If you are using fillings or toppings then it does not matter much.
- 2 pinches Salt
- 1 tbsp Sunflower Oil or other neutral oil
- 1 large Egg
- In a large bowl quickly whisk together the dry ingredients. Then add the wet ingredients and whisk until just combined. DO NOT overmix. As soon as there are no lumps, stop mixing.
- Lightly grease a pan or griddle and put on medium-high heat.
- Scoop a tablespoon of batter onto the hot surface and cook until you see bubbles rise and pop in the batter. Flip and cook the other side about half as long as the first side took. (In my case it takes about 30 seconds the first side and 15 seconds after the flip. Your first pancake is likely a test one, so you can determine the correct flip time for your pan or griddle.
- Stack or spread out and top with your favorite pancake add-ons. Pancakes are best eaten right away.
Super Easy Pancakes
Popular Pancake Recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through the links it allows the site to make money at no additional cost to you. For more information please see Cooking To Entertain’s Policy page.
Leave a Reply