Red Pesto Potatoes
So I had some red pesto left over after making my Red Pesto Pasta With Chicken And Mozzarella and wanted to do something easy and delicious. Two weeks ago Alona and I had dinner at a restaurant with no menu and one of my sides was some roast potatoes with green pesto. Well, I decided to do my own take on it of red pesto potatoes roasted in bacon fat.
This is a perfect dish for someone who wants a filling meal, but doesn’t want to do a whole lot of work. In fact, you can even use store-bought pesto to make everything easier. But I think from now on whenever I have leftover pesto from another dish, my leftover meal is going to be red pesto potatoes.
To start with, I boiled about 5 small to medium sized potatoes for around 15 minutes. Just enough to where they were softened, but not ready for mashing. Then I diced them up, laid them out on a roasting tray, and tossed them with bacon fat and seasonings.
If you are throwing away your bacon fat after cooking…DON’T. Just strain it into a resealable jar and put it in the fridge. You can do so many things with it, and roasting veggies is one of the most delicious. To soften it up I just put the container in the still hot water from the boiled potatoes for a few minutes.
I roast these potatoes for about 20 minutes at 220 Celsius. Or just until the edges start to brown. Because of boiling them beforehand, the insides will be soft and the edges will be nice and crispy. After they are done I just move them to a bowl, add in the red pesto, and give everything a good toss. Serve these Red Pesto Potatoes hot!
Red Pesto Potatoes
- Roasting Tray
- 1 kg Potatoes small to medium size
- 3 tbsp Bacon Fat can also use olive oil if you don't have bacon fat on hand
- 2 tbsp Red Pesto that's what I used, but I think the recipe could probably do with more if you have it.
- 2 tsp Salt or to taste
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Black Pepper freshly cracked
- In a pot boil water. Add the potatoes whole and let boil for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes and immediately cut them into bite size pieces. Lay on a baking or roasting sheet pan.
- Pour over the liquid bacon fat along with the salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Give everything a good mix.
- Place in an oven pre-heated to 220 Celsius for 20 minutes, or until the edges of the potatoes start to go reddish brown.
- Remove from the oven and place into a mixing bowl. Add the red pesto and toss everything together. Serve hot.