These chicken brochettes are perfect for any outdoor BBQ or camping trip you have and they are so simple to make. These are a popular tapas dish in Spain which is why I made them and I have to say they will probably be added to my rotation of party foods.
I cooked these on a simple pan on an induction burner at the AirBnB I’m staying at in Valencia at the moment, but they would be just as easy over an open flame, or on a BBQ grill. The best part is they are so customizable. From the ingredients you decide to skewer, to the sauces you can pair with them.
Chicken Brochettes Ingredients
2 Chicken Breasts
1/2 Yellow Onion
1 Bell Pepper; any color.
1 tsp Salt; to taste
1 tsp Sweet Paprika
2 tbsp Olive Oil
Chicken Brochettes Instructions
1. Take 8 skewers and soak them in a bowl of lightly salted water while you do steps 2 and 3. This help the wood to not burn if you are cooking over an open flame, as well as makes it easier for the chicken to fall off the wood when you are ready to eat.
2. Cut the chicken breasts into about 2 cm (1 inch) cubes. Salt and paprika them and set aside.
3. Take the half of the onion and cut it into 4 wedges. Cut each of these wedges in half and peel apart the layers. Take the bell pepper and cut it up into 2 cm squares.
4. Take a skewer out of the water and run it through a piece of chicken, then onion, then bell pepper. Continue for almost the entire skewer leaving just about an inch to grab onto. Do this for all the skewers.
5. In a pan add the olive oil on medium heat and place down the skewers being careful not to crowd the pan. Rotate the chicken brochettes every minute or so until the chicken is cooked (about 7-8 minutes).
5a. If cooking over an open flame or on a bbq grill drizzle the chicken brochettes with the olive oil before placing them on the metal. Use a metal spatula to pry them up if they stick, as if you try to pull the skewer they may fall apart.
Beef instead of chicken
Lamb and pearl onions with a Dijonnaise sauce
Melon and Serrano ham (uncooked)