One of the most popular vodkas in the world is Poland’s Zubrowka. This bison grass flavored vodka isn’t your average flavored vodka and it can be used to create the refreshingly tasty pink bison cocktail!
While this cocktail recipe only has three ingredients, one of them is a homemade syrup. Don’t worry, it only takes a few minutes to make, and it can be used for other drinks as well!
This bison grass cocktail is different than my basic Zubrowka cocktail in that the latter is more of a mixed drink than a proper cocktail. However both of these drinks offer a great way to try this famous Polish vodka for those who see a bottle at the store and are wondering, “what the hell do I make with Zubrowka?”
What Is Zubrowka?
Zubrowka, or Żubrówka in Polish, is a bison grass flavored vodka with a recipe alleged to be over 600 years old. It is one of the most popular vodkas in the world after the American Smirnoff, Swedish Absolute, and sometimes the Ukrainian Khortytsia.
Zubrowka in its authentic format is not actually allowed to be sold in America because the bison grass in which it is made from contains coumarin, a prohibited ingredient in the USA. However there is a rye based version which, while not the same taste, does have the same name.
How To Make A Pink Bison Cocktail
This is a light cocktail which looks best in a coupe glass. I actually think this pink bison cocktail would be perfect in activities like spring brunches or wedding showers.
- 50 ml Zubrowka Vodka
- 75 ml Grapefruit Juice – freshly squeezed. I recommend using Ruby Red Grapefruit for a stronger pink color, sadly I didn’t have one available.
- 15 ml Thyme Syrup – homemade
What You’ll Need
- Cocktail Shaker
- Cocktail Strainer
Even though you only need 15 ml of thyme syrup for this cocktail, it is better to make a batch so you can use it for other things. Also it would be really hard to only make 15 ml of syrup at a time.
In a pan on high heat add a half cup of sugar and half cup of water. Bring to a boil while stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved.
Add in a bunch of thyme sprigs and stir the pan around. As the thyme heats up it will quickly flavor the syrup. Stir the pan for about 3-5 minutes then turn off the heat.
Pour the syrup into a sealable jar. You can put the thyme sprigs in there as well. Close the bottle and let cool to room temperature before putting in the fridge.
Pink Bison Cocktail Instructions
- Add a handful of ice to your cocktail shaker.
- Measure in the ingredients, close shaker, and shake hard for 15-20 seconds.
- Strain into a fine coupe glass and garnish with a sprig of fresh thyme.
Pink Bison Cocktail
- 1 Cocktail Shaker
- 1 Cocktail Strainer
- 1 Jigger
- 50 ml Zubrowka
- 75 ml Grapefruit Juice freshly squeezed. I recommend ruby red grapefruit for a stronger pink color
- 15 ml Thyme Syrup homemade
- In a pan add a half cup of sugar and half cup of water and bring to a boil.
- Add the thyme sprigs and cook in the syrup for 3-5 minutes.
- Pour syrup into a jar and let cool to room temperature before placing in the fridge.
Pink Bison Cocktail
- Add a handful of ice to a cocktail shaker and measure in all the ingredients.
- Close shaker, shake for 15-20 seconds, then strain into a fine coupe glass.
- Garnish with a fresh thyme sprig and serve.