So I’m currently in Bali and decided for the first time to try the Cookly app. Normally when I book cooking classes I just do AirBnB Experiences since that is what I’m used to, but this time a friend suggested Cookly. Through the app I found an authentic Farm Cooking School about an hour outside of Ubud. One of the first recipes I learned was this Indonesian Sweet Sour Tempeh!
In total we made 7 recipes (I’ve already posted the one for Bumbu Bali). One of my favorites is a popular Balinese snack called Sweet Sour Tempeh. Tempeh, for those who had never heard of it like myself, is a bit like tofu but way less processed. It is sold in hard blocks and is composed of whole fermented soybeans.
Indonesian Sweet Sour Tempeh Ingredients
150 grams Tempeh; about one block. Cut into rectangular prisms about 2 cm in length.
300 ml Vegetable Oil; for frying
5 cloves Garlic; thinly sliced
1 Spring Onion; finely chopped.
1 Long Red Chili; thinly sliced.
1 tbsp Palm Sugar; or dark Brown Sugar.
1 piece Lemongrass; smashed.
1 Salam Leaf; or one fresh Bay Leaf.
1 tbsp Lime Juice; freshly squeezed. Kaffir Lime is preferable, but if you cannot find it then any lime will do.
2 tbsp Coconut Oil
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp White Pepper
Indonesian Sweet Sour Tempeh Instructions
1. Prepare all the ingredients. Cut them according to the notes.
2. In a pan heat the oil (medium flame) and then deep fry the tempeh pieces for 8-10 minutes, or until golden. Then strain and let rest on a paper towel.
3. In the same pan add the coconut oil and heat to medium. Then fry the garlic for 20 seconds or so until slightly browned. Then add the spring onion, chili, salam leaf, lemon grass, salt, and pepper. Cook for 30 seconds on a low flame.
4. Add in the palm sugar and stir until it dissolves, then add the lime juice and stir until everything is well mixed.
5. Re-add the fried tempeh and stir/toss everything for about 30 seconds, or until the tempeh is well coated with the rest of the ingredients.
You can use hot chili if you want to make it a sweet and sour and spicy tempeh. Just adjust to suit your spice preference.
Indonesian Sweet Sour Tempeh
- 150 grams Tempeh about 1 block
- 300 ml Vegetable Oil for deep frying
- 5 cloves Garlic thinly sliced
- 1 Spring Onion finely chopped
- 1 Long Red Chili thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Palm Sugar or dark brown sugar
- 1 piece Lemongrass smashed
- 1 Salam Leaf or fresh Bay Leaf
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice Kaffir Lime preferable
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp White Pepper
- Prepare all the ingredients. Cut them according to the notes.
- In a pan heat the oil (medium flame) and then deep fry the tempeh pieces for 8-10 minutes, or until golden. Then strain and let rest on a paper towel.
- Heat the coconut oil on a medium flame and then fry the garlic until slightly browned (about 20 seconds). Then add in the spring onion, chili, salam leaf, lemon grass, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 30 seconds on a low flame.
- Add in the palm sugar and stir to dissolve. Add the lime juice and stir everything until well mixed.
- Re-add in the fried tempeh and stir/toss everything until the tempeh is well coated with the sauce. 30 seconds to a minute
Bumbu Bali / Base Gede : How To Make This Balinese Spice PasteMarch 3, 2023 at 12:51 pm
[…] Pad Thai Massaman Curry Indonesian Sweet Sour Tempeh […]