The iceberg wedge. Long claimed to be the most boring form of salad. Well, it kind of is, right? That’s why it is commonly served with such strong dressings. My way of making the iceberg wedge is with bacon blue cheese dressing, which is good with or without water flavored lettuce. I’m not going to have any pretense in this recipe, and for people who think iceberg lettuce is ‘good’ more power to you.
All that being said, there is something divine about crisp lettuce with a tangy blue cheese dressing. It reminds me of the days going to the Sizzler all you can eat salad buffet and absolutely loading up on those fake tasting bacon bits.
This recipe for bacon blue cheese dressing actually uses the same ingredients as my Gorgonzola Sauce, which is used in dishes like my Gnocchi With Gorgonzola Sauce. However this time instead of cooking it in a pan to make a rich cream sauce, this time I blend it. That’s right, this is basically a whipped bacon blue cheese dressing.
Half the bacon gets chopped up and added to the blue cheese dressing after being blended/whipped, and the other half is crumbled right on top of the salad as a finisher. As much as I dislike iceberg lettuce, it’s really hard to hate it in this recipe.
For this bacon blue cheese dressing I use my Nutribullet, although any blender will work. I just add in 250 ml Heavy Whipping Cream, 100 grams Blue Cheese (this time I used Gorgonzola Piccante), 4 cloves minced Garlic, 1 tsp freshly cracked Black Pepper, and salt to taste. Pulse the blender a few times until everything is combined, and scoop into a bowl. Fold in half the chopped bacon and voila…all done with the bacon blue cheese dressing.
Iceberg Wedge With Bacon Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1 head Iceberg Lettuce quartered
- 250 ml Heavy Whipping Cream
- 100 grams Blue Cheese
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Black Pepper freshly cracked
- 1 pinch Salt to taste
- 100 grams Bacon
- In a hot pan add the cold bacon and allow to fry up. Move to a paper towel to drain.
- While the bacon is frying/cooling add the cream, cheese, garlic, pepper, and salt to a blender (I used my nutribullet) and pusle for a few seconds until well combined and slightly whipped.
- Crumble the bacon and add half to the blue cheese dressing. Fold in and taste for seasoning. Make adjustments if necessary.
- Scoop the dressing over each of the iceberg wedges, crumble over more chopped bacon, serve and enjoy.