Many people have a love/hate relationship with asparagus, but it’s extremely easy to love these Spanish jamon wrapped asparagus. These stalks are bursting with umami flavor thanks to the ham and cheese.
Even though I only live in Spain one month a year, I write so much about the best of Spanish cuisine it is a surprise this recipe was not on the site sooner. With only 4 ingredients, this easy recipe is a great weeknight side dish.
An upgrade to your basic roast asparagus, this tasty recipe uses some high quality Spanish jamon and cheese for an extremely addicting side. The best part? You don’t even have to go full Spanish with this. Feel free to replace the jamon with bacon or the manchego with cheddar. Have fun with it!
How To Make Jamon Wrapped Asparagus
This easy and tasty asparagus recipe only needs four ingredients. You might notice there isn’t even any salt – that’s because both the cured ham and the cured cheese are both salty enough no extra is needed.
16 stalks Asparagus – fresh not canned
8 slices Serrano Ham – you can use any ham you like, but I use serrano to keep this recipe fully Spanish.
50 grams Manchego – again, you can use a different cheese, but I love manchego in this recipe.
Olive Oil – for roasting
Place your asparagus spears in your baking dish and drizzle them with olive oil. Shake them around so each asparagus is completely coated in oil.
Lay down your sheet of jamon and use a sharp knife to slice it in half. The way they come packaged in Spain means that one sheet is far too big for a single asparagus spear. Then grate some manchego over the jamon using a grater or microplane.
Take an asparagus spear and wrap it in the jamon slice. Try to wrap on an angle/diagonal so the spear is covered right up to the tip.
Place the spears in a baking dish and grate over a bit more of the manchego. Don’t press them too close together. Touching is okay but definitely don’t let them stack or they will steam instead of getting crispy.
Place in an oven at 220C or 450F for five minutes. Remove, flip, grate more cheese, and roast for another 5 minutes. Then remove and plate to serve. How easy is that? Enjoy!
Jamon Wrapped Asparagus
- 1 Baking Tray
- 1 Oven
- 16 spears Asparagus fresh not canned
- 8 slices Serrano Ham you can use any ham you like but I use serrano to keep this recipe fully Spanish.
- 50 grams Manchego again you can use a different cheese, but I love manchego in this recipe.
- Olive Oil for roasting
- Preheat your oven to 220C or 450F
- Place your asparagus in a baking tray and drizzle them with olive oil. Shake around so they are entirely coated.
- On a surface lay down a sheet of jamon and slice it in half. Grate over some manchego cheese, then roll an asparagus spear in the ham on a bias until the spear is wrapped up to the tip.
- Place the spear back in the baking tray and repeat until all the asparagus are wrapped.
- Grate some more cheese over all the spears and place in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove, flip each spear, and place back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Remove, plate, and serve. Feel free to grate over even more cheese right before serving.
Jamon Wrapped Asparagus (With Manchego Cheese)
Popular Spanish Recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through the links it allows the site to make money at no additional cost to you. For more information please see Cooking To Entertain’s Policy page.
Leave a Reply