This is a super simple soup recipe that is one of Alona’s most requested things I make. It only needs a few ingredients, and takes less than 10 minutes overall. The green in green soup comes from 4 different green vegetables, and you can use fresh or frozen. They are zucchini, peas, green beans, and broccoli. Normally I prefer heartier soups like my classic chili (is chili a soup?) or solyanka, but this green soup is healthy and filling in its own way.
This is a lazy dinner idea, so if you can find a bag of frozen mixed veggies there’s nothing wrong with using that. In fact, I’m a bigger fan of frozen vegetables than one might realize. While I don’t use too much heavy cream in this recipe, you can easily increase the amount (or decrease it if you think I DO use too much).
This green soup recipe is so easy. All you have to do is add all your vegetables to a pot with a 50/50 cup of water and heavy cream. Bring it to a boil and mix around the vegetables so all of them cook in the cream mixture for a bit. Season with salt and pepper and some garlic powder if you want. Then just use an immersion blender to blitz everything smooth. Don’t worry if it is not a completely uniform green color as long as it is creamy and smooth.
Serve in a bowl, drizzle over a couple teaspoons of cold heavy cream, and place some chopped raw onion in the middle. After I put it in the bowl, I also like to add a couple drops of Worcestershire sauce and a tsp of hot sauce along with some red chili flakes, but those two ingredients are entirely optional.
Green Soup (4-Vegetable Green Soup)
- 500 grams Green Vegetables a mix of broccoli, peas, green beans, and zucchini (you can sub or leave one out if you can't find it, frozen bags of mixed are fine).
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream some some tsp to drizzle after plating
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tsp Black Pepper freshly cracked (or less to taste)
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Salt more or less to taste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce finishing, optional
- 1 tsp Hot Sauce more or less to taste
- 4 tbsp White Onion chopped, optional
- Slice your zucchini and break up the broccoli florets. The peas and green beans don't need any preparation. Toss them all in a pot with the water and cream and bring to a boil. Give a stir every couple minutes so all the vegetables have had time to boil in the cream.
- Add the butter, black pepper, and salt. Then blend with an immersion blender (or move to a standing blender) until smooth.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust as needed.
- Place in a bowl and drizzle over some heavy cream. Add the chopped onion in the middle, and the sauces if you are using them. Serve and enjoy.