The Event Horizon is a drink I made a couple days ago to try out cocktails with a new bottle of Magellan gin. This is a French gin that is infused with Iris flowers, so it does have a light blue color. While I don’t like the gin straight, I think it’s fantastic in mixed drinks. This cocktail is flowery, herbal, and a good balance of sweetness. Note: it does use Creme de Butterfly which you may recognize from my Butterfly Sour. This has to be homemade, but it isn’t difficult at all.
This drink does have an egg white, as you can see by the foam. However I wouldn’t really know what cocktail family this drink falls under. I’m leaning towards a sour because of the egg white and lemon juice, but the two different liqueurs and the honey syrup, along with the bitters definitely give it some extra complexity.
Event Horizon Cocktail Ingredients
45 ml Magellan Gin
22.5 ml Honey Syrup. 1:1 Honey to water.
15 ml Creme de Butterfly. Homemade, instructions here.
15 ml Lemon Juice. Freshly squeezed.
10 ml Cointreau
2 dashes Angostura Bitters
1 small Egg White
Add all the ingredients to a shaker and give a dry shake for a few seconds to emulsify the egg white. Then add some ice cubes and wet shake hard for 30 seconds. As you can see in the second picture this drink gets so aerated it takes time to settle. Double strain into a chilled coupe, let rest for a few minutes, garnish with a desiccated lemon slice and serve.
The Event Horizon
- Cocktail Shaker
- Coupe Glass (optional)
- 45 ml Magellan Gin or another floral gin
- 22.5 ml Honey Syrup 1:1 honey to water
- 15 ml Lemon Juice freshly squeezed
- 15 ml Creme de Butterfly homemade
- 10 ml Cointreau
- 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
- 1 small Egg White
- Add all the ingredients to a cocktail shaker and give a dry shake (without ice) for a few seconds to emulsify the egg white.
- Add ice and give a hard wet shake for 30 seconds. Double strain into a chilled coupe glass and let rest for a few minutes until all the foam rises to the top.
- Garnish with a desiccated lemon or orange slice and serve.
The Event Horizon Cocktail
SKIP THE QUARANTINI – 9 TASTY COCKTAILS FOR YOUR CORONA VIRUS QUARANTINE
This drink is part of my series: 5 COCKTAILS WITH BUTTERFLY PEA FLOWERS
Leave a Reply