Well it’s day 4 of quarantine, and comfort foods are the go to these days. This creamy sausage pasta is a great comfort food, not to mention the fact that it is super easy and quick to make. If you have just a few ingredients, then this is a great recipe to make for a weeknight or corona virus quarantine day.
I had a few Italian sausages left after I made my Sausage and Red Pesto Tacos so figured what better way to use the remaining ones than comfort food. As you can see in the picture I used farfalle for the pasta, but you can use any shape you prefer. I would refrain from doing noodles just because the sauce is pretty thick and it may clump up.
The first cooking step of this creamy sausage pasta is to saute some shallots. Most people I find don’t really get why shallots are so important, but I think many times they are the most important part of a dish. The flavor they impart is like a sweeter red onion, with a more subtle onion essence. If you can’t find shallots I would not substitute red onion, just go with a standard yellow.
After cooking the shallot to translucency, add the hand crumbled Italian sausage. Cook until just browned, add a chopped tomato, and stir. After a minute add in the heavy cream. At this point everything should come together nicely and you can lower the heat.
You don’t need to add pasta water to a cream sauce, so once your pasta is cooked just strain it from the water and add it to the pan. Give everything a good stir to make sure all the pasta is coated and your creamy sausage pasta is done!
This recipe is actually quite similar to my Sausage Alfredo, except for this one you don’t need to make a roux. I also opted to leave out the cheese for this creamy sausage pasta because I didn’t want to make it TOO heavy. But of course you can add cheese if you wish.
Creamy Sausage Pasta
- 250 grams Pasta I used dry farfalle, you can use whatever shape you want. Avoid noodles.
- 2 Sausages about 100 grams each. Italian style sausages.
- 100 ml Heavy Cream aka whipping cream or double cream
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 2 Shallot roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chili Flakes or to taste
- 1 tsp Black Pepper freshly cracked
- 1 tsp Salt or to taste
- Get a pot of salted water on a burner to boil.
- De-case your sausages and crumble them with your fingers. Set aside.
- In a skillet on medium heat add the oil. When hot add the red chili flakes and shallots and let saute until the shallots are just translucent. Then add all the sausage along with the garlic powder, pepper, and salt. Cook until browned. Add the pasta to the water; your sauce will be done when the pasta is cooked.
- Add in the chopped tomato and give everything a good mix. After a minute or two pour in the heavy cream and stir everything together. Lower the heat to minimum and stir everything around for another minute or two. Then turn the heat off. Test your pasta, if it is al dente strain it from the water and add it to the pasta sauce.
- Give everything a good toss so all the pasta is completely coated with the creamy sausage sauce. Plate and serve. You can garnish if you want, but I didn't since this is just a lazy weekday meal.