Chocolate Cinnamon Crackle Cookies
Crackle cookies are one of my favorite things to make, and these chocolate cinnamon crackle cookies are one of my favorite variations. I had posted my regular version and this time decided to change it up with a little holiday flavor. The best part is you can make the dough way in advance, and then whip up a plate of these cinnamon crackle cookies in just about 10 minutes.
In fact, if you make my original chocolate crackle cookies, then this recipe is almost exactly the same. All I did was substitute out the vanilla sugar for cinnamon powder, as well as mixing in cinnamon powder with the powdered sugar for the rolling coat.
You will need to make a double boiler for this. Just fill a pot with water just enough so it is not touching the top bowl. That way there is no direct heat on the chocolate so it will melt smoothly and not burn. Make sure your top bowl has absolutely zero water or the chocolate can split and you’ll have to start again.
I used my stand mixer but you absolutely do not need one. You can just use a bowl and a whisk, but it will be a bit of a workout. In the mixer I whisk together the eggs, sugar, and cinnamon until frothy. Then I whisk in the melted chocolate. Once the chocolate is all mixed in, I slowly incorporate the sifted flour. The great thing about this recipe is that the mixer can stay running the entire time, so you don’t need to use too many separate bowls.
After making the dough, you have to put it into a resealable container and let it sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours. However it is best to let it rest overnight. Then I scoop out a bit with a teaspoon, roll it in between the palms of my hands to make a ball, and roll the ball in the powdered sugar/cinnamon mix.
Then just place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Pop them into the oven at 180 Celsius for 10 minutes. Pull them out and let rest on the counter for 10 minutes before plating and serving.
Chocolate Cinnamon Crackle Cookies
- Stand Mixer (optional)
- Baking Tray
- 50 grams Butter unsalted
- 220 grams Dark Chocolate
- 210 grams Hard Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Eggs
- 100 grams Sugar
- 15 grams Cinnamon ground
- 100 grams Powdered Sugar
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and butter together until smooth.
- Using a stand mixer (or by hand if you want the workout) mix together the eggs, sugar, and 5 grams of the cinnamon powder until a foamy mixture is created.
- In another bowl sift the flour and baking powder.
- Add the melted chocolate into the egg mixture. I left my stand mixer running at a decent speed to prevent the eggs from cooking. Then add the flour slowly making sure everything gets combined well.
- Pour the batter into a resealable container and press down plastic wrap at the top so no part of the batter is exposed to air. Seal and place in the refrigerator for at minimum 3 hours (best overnight).
- Using a teaspoon or a melon baller scoop out a tsp worth of chocolate and roll into a ball using the palms of your hands. Roll the balls in a bowl of powdered sugar and the rest of the cinnamon powder making sure every bit of the surface is coated.
- Place the balls on a parchment lined baking tray and place in an oven preheated to 180 C for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes on the baking tray before touching them. You can use a spatula to lift them, but they don’t tend to stick, so can just use two fingers to lift them off to plate.