This Cinema Sour is the perfect movie watching cocktail. It tastes like buttered popcorn with an intoxicating aroma, while still being a well balanced alcohol forward drink. You do need one specific ingredient for this, but it’s easy to order online or find in major bottle shops.
How pretty does this drink look? I serve my Cinema Sour in a double rocks glass, but you can get so creative with it, from a Nick and Nora, to a classic coupe. Of course, the simple garnish of some caramel popcorn makes this an immediately recognizable drink.
The one key ingredient you absolutely must use is Monin’s Popcorn Syrup. I had never even heard of this flavor before but as soon as I saw it I just knew. I knew I had to make a cocktail with it. After scouring the interwebs for flavors that pair well with popcorn syrup, I ended up making this Cinema Sour – and it was immediately a hit.
What Is Popcorn Syrup
Well, this should be fairly self-explanatory. Popcorn syrup is a movie theater popcorn flavored syrup used in both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. It works great as a bar syrup, but you will also see it at coffee shops or cafes as a flavored sweetener.
How To Make A Cinema Sour Cocktail
This cocktail does not do well with substitutions, so try to keep everything the same. With the bourbon and the creme de cacao you can use your favorite brand, but you absolutely have to use Monin for the syrup. Other brands just taste…off, if I’m being completely honest.
50 ml Bourbon
25 ml Creme de Cacao
25 ml Popcorn Syrup
12.5 ml Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
3 dashes Angostura Bitters – you can use another brand of aromatic bitters, but Angostura is the most convenient to find, and it does taste great in a cinema sour.
1 Egg White – you can use one egg white for two cocktails, so if you double this recipe you don’t need to double this particular ingredient. If you don’t want to waste the yolks go make some cured egg yolks, which go great in so many dishes as a grated Parmesan replacement.
Add all the ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shake hard for about 10 seconds with out ice. Then open it up, add ice, and shake hard another 10 seconds. Strain into your glass and garnish with a skewer of 3 caramel popcorns.
Like Bourbon? You Might Like
Cinema Sour Cocktail
- 1 Cocktail Shaker Set
- 50 ml Bourbon
- 25 ml Creme de Cacao
- 25 ml Popcorn Syrup
- 12.5 ml Lemon Juice freshly squeezed
- 3 dashes Angostura Bitters you can use another brand of aromatic bitters but Angostura is the most convenient to find, and it does taste great in a cinema sour.
- 1 Egg White you can use one egg white for two cocktails so if you double this recipe you don't need to double this particular ingredient. If you don't want to waste the yolks go make some cured egg yolks, which go great in so many dishes as a grated Parmesan replacement.
- Add all the ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shake hard for 10 seconds without ice.
- Open the shaker, add ice, and shake hard again another 10 seconds.
- Strain into your glass with a large ice cube and garnish with 3 skewered caramel popcorns. Enjoy!
Most Popular Cocktails
This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through the links it allows the site to make money at no additional cost to you. For more information please see Cooking To Entertain’s Policy page.
Jayce LopezFebruary 9, 2023 at 9:39 am
I have been searching for cocktails that use popcorn syrup ever since I received a bottle as a gift.
This cocktail is fantastic and all my friends think so as well!