Chorizo Avocado Tacos
Making street style tacos is one of the best way to use up the last of some meat and vegetables. Not only that, it’s also a fun way to get creative with your cooking. These chorizo avocado tacos came about because I had half a log of some really good spicy chorizo and an avocado that was about to turn.
Paired with some raw white onion and topped with a lime crema (similar one I made for my Butternut Squash Buddha Bowl), these chorizo avocado tacos are a quick and easy weeknight meal. They can also be served as hors d’ouevres for an outdoor event. They can be great to make with kids, although be careful with the knife around the avocado. Did you know that avocados cause the most kitchen accidents over any other produce?
The mise-en-place is really the only thing that takes time here. I finely chopped up the spicy chorizo. If you don’t like spicy, you can use a regular chorizo as well.
The avocado I left in fairly decent chunks, and that’s because they were going in the pan with the chorizo. If you have never cooked avocado before, not to worry. Just know that as they bang around the pan they will shrink as the edges will get scraped around. Not a big deal at all.
After you have everything prepared, just add a little olive oil to a skillet and put the heat on medium high. Drop in the spicy chorizo and let the pieces fry for a few minutes. Then drop in the avocado and some salt and toss everything for another couple minutes.
I don’t cook the white onion, but you can toss it in with the chorizo if you want it cooked. After everything in the pan is done, I put it in a bowl, add the onion and black pepper and give everything a good mix. For this I used mini flour tortillas, but you can of course use corn. Unfortunately where I live corn tortillas do not exist so I had to make do with these. The lime crema is simply some sour cream, salt, and lime juice mixed together. Cilantro is optional and I would have used it, except I was all out.
Chorizo Avocado Tacos
- 125 grams Spicy Chorizo finely diced; hard Spanish style chorizo
- 1 large Avocado or two small ones. Ripe, roughly diced
- 1/2 medium White Onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp Salt more or less to taste
- 60 ml Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice more or less to taste
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 4 Mini Tortillas I used mini flour tortillas for this
- Add the olive oil to a pan on medium high heat. Then add in the chorizo. Saute for about 3.
- Add in the avocado and some salt and give everything a good toss. Saute for another 1-2 minutes. Then move to a bowl.
- Add the onion to the bowl along with some black pepper and mix.
- In another bowl add sour cream, some salt, and lime juice and mix everything up.
- Lay down your warmed tortillas and equally distribute the filling between each one. Top with some lime crema and serve immediately. They are best when still hot.