Tarts or tartlets are some of my favorite things to make when having a cocktail party. I think its partly because of how proper they look, but also because they are actually extremely easy. Especially so if you use store bought tart shells. Now, I’m not one to shy away from making my own pastry, but if you can get good quality store-bought shells, why not save the time. These quick and easy delicious chocolate hazelnut tartlets are a great way to impress guests and save time.
If you read the title and your first thought was Nutella, you’re not wrong. This recipe actually uses a chocolate hazelnut spread (although I used one different from the Nutella brand name) to make the filling. I actually prefer a spread more similar to Gianduja, that is just chocolate and hazelnut, without the sugar and palm oil fillers. Then it’s just a simple mixture of heavy cream and butter to make a bit of a ganache and there you have it.
In fact, this entire chocolate hazelnut tartlets filling can be made in the microwave. It really is a super simple dessert recipe perfect for parties. Just put the chocolate hazelnut spread, heavy cream, and butter in a microwave safe bowl and ‘cook’ it for a minute. Then just stir it up and fill your tartlet shells.
If you don’t want to buy tartelette shells at the store, you can make them yourself using my fabulous pate sucree recipe. It is perfect for all types of sweet tarts and is 100% authentically French.
After you put the filling into all the tartlet shells you can put them on a plate in the fridge. This will help the filling solidify more and the resting will give it time to spread out which will make it look real professional. Leave it in the fridge for at least one hour.
When they have hardened a bit in the fridge you can decorate them with fruit. I used blueberries and kiwi because I think the acidity of the fruits cuts the sweetness of the chocolate. Of course you can use anything you like, or nothing at all and just have it be super chocolatey.
Chocolate Hazelnut Tartlets
- 3 tbsp Chocolate Hazelnut Spread like Nutella or store bought.
- 2 tbsp Heavy Cream
- 1 tbsp Butter I like using salted, but you can use unsalted if you prefer
- 16 Tartlet Shells I used storebought but you could easily make them yourself
- 1 tbsp Powdered Sugar for garnish
- 1/2 cup Mixed Fruit for topping
- In a microwave safe bowl add the chocolate hazelnut spread, heavy cream, and butter and put in the microwave for 1 minute. Remove and give everything a stir.
- Take your tartlet shells out of the package and fill them with the hot filling. I used about a tsp per tartlet. Place on a plate or tray and put into the fridge.
- After one hour in the fridge take them out and decorate them with fruit pieces. If you are serving now do step 4, otherwise put them back in the fridge.
- Right before you are going to serve, give the tray a good dusting of powdered sugar. Serve cold.
Chocolate Hazelnut Tartlets
Popular Tartlet Recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through the links it allows the site to make money at no additional cost to you. For more information please see Cooking To Entertain’s Policy page.
FilbertMarch 23, 2020 at 12:27 pm
Really delicious. I used different fruits, but my guests enjoyed it all the same.