After spending a month in Indonesia this past winter both Alona and myself kind of fell in love with smoothie bowls. They are a great way of eating healthy, tasty food. Not to mention getting creative with toppings and trying to make them look pretty. This chocolate banana smoothie bowl is delicious and simple, using common grocery store ingredients.
This chocolate banana smoothie bowl uses a base of yogurt, so if you are trying to go vegan (or dairy free) you can substitute for your preferred liquid. I just like using semi-frozen yogurt to give thickness to the smoothie bowl (which also helps make it easier for the toppings to stay at the top).
One of my tricks with smoothie bowls is to use frozen or semi frozen ingredients for the base. If you use liquid yogurt for example it becomes to runny. So I like to use frozen yogurt along with frozen bananas to provide a thick base for the toppings. I find bananas to be a great thickening agent because of their density, but you can also use mango or papaya for a more tropical feel.
When Alona and I were in Bali working on my article The Best Smoothie Bowls In Canggu, we got to taste so many different types of bowls. I especially love when they are served in coconut bowls, so when I was in Sri Lanka I made sure to pick some up. If you can’t pop over to Sri Lanka to pick up some bowls in your free time, you can buy them on Amazon here.
Chocolate Banana Smoothie Bowl Ingredients (for 1 bowl)
1/2 cup Yogurt (you can use Greek yogurt if you prefer); frozen or semi frozen.
2 tsp Cocoa Powder
2 Bananas; 1 and a half frozen, half fresh and sliced to put on top.
1 tbsp Sugar; optional
1 tbsp Muesli
1 tsp Sunflower Seeds
1 tsp Pumpkin Seeds
15 grams Coconut; fresh, sliced
1 Strawberry; sliced
Chocolate Banana Smoothie Bowl Instructions
1. Blend the yogurt, sugar, cocoa powder, and 1 and a half frozen bananas together. Pour into a bowl as the smoothie base.
2. Decorate with the toppings in a pretty pattern of your choosing.
Chocolate Banana Smoothie Bowl
- 1/2 cup Yogurt you can use Greek yogurt if you prefer; frozen or semi frozen.
- 2 tsp Cocoa Powder
- 2 Bananas 1 and a half frozen half fresh and sliced to put on top.
- 1 tbsp Sugar optional
- 1 tbsp Muesli
- 1 tsp Sunflower Seeds
- 1 tsp Pumpkin Seeds
- 15 grams Coconut fresh sliced
- 1 Strawberry sliced
- Blend the yogurt, sugar, cocoa powder, and frozen one and a half bananas and pour into a bowl.
- Decorate with the toppings in whatever fashion you want.
Leave a Reply