Continuing on with pumpkin recipes because of October, here is a savory pumpkin dish. This cheesy pumpkin pasta uses the same easy homemade pumpkin puree that I use for my Pumpkin Cookies With Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting, except cooked into a delicious pasta sauce.
This recipe is actually quite similar to my Cream Cheese Pasta since cream cheese plays a vital role. The end result is a savory, velvety pumpkin sauce that pairs beautifully with some bucatini – the superior noodle.
Begin by sautéing some chopped onion in a bit of olive oil. I use about a half cup of chopped onions, but you can use more or less if you prefer. Give a sprinkling of salt here as well.
Once the onions soften you can add the butter. Again, this amount of butter is up to you, but I add around 30 grams.
Finally it is pumpkin time. Here I add 250 grams (about a cup) of my homemade pumpkin puree and stir it around until smooth. The heat should be around medium so the sauce will not burn.
Once the pumpkin puree is incorporated and smooth add in 125 grams of cream cheese and stir to combine. Here I also add 250 ml of milk (about 1 cup). Stir the sauce until everything is smooth and velvety.
At this stage it’s time to add some more seasonings. I add in a teaspoon each of dried oregano and dried basil, and a pinch of dried rosemary. Here I also taste for salt and adjust to suit my preferences (I usually add more salt). Stir the pan and allow the herbs to soften and permeate the rest of the sauce.
Finally I add in 300 grams of al dente bucatini noodles (cook according to the package instructions in salted water). I give everything a good mix and your cheesy pumpkin pasta is ready to plate and serve!
Cheesy Pumpkin Pasta
- Whisk (optional)
- 300 grams Pasta I suggest using Bucatini for this recipe, but you can use whatever pasta you want
- 1/2 cup Onions chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 30 grams Butter about 2 tablespoons
- 250 grams Pumpkin Puree homemade recommended, but canned is fine
- 250 ml Milk
- 125 grams Cream Cheese of course Philadelphia is recommended
- 1 tsp Oregano dry
- 1 tsp Basil dry
- 1 pinch Rosemary dry
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder optional
- Salt to taste
- In a pan sauté the onions in a bit of olive oil until soft. Then add the butter. Add a pinch of salt. Begin boiling the pasta now.
- Once the butter is melted add in the pumpkin puree and stir around. When the pumpkin is hot and smooth add in the cream cheese and stir the pan around. Trickle in the milk and whisk until everything is velvety and smooth. Add in the oregano, basil, rosemary, garlic powder (if using) and salt to taste.
- Strain the pasta and add it to the pan. Give everything a good mix. Plate, serve, and enjoy!
Leave a Reply