This canape version of the classic Caprese salad is great for parties or get-togethers as a passed hors d’oeuvre. Exceedingly simple, caprese crostini are always a hit, and they only take a few minutes to make!
Crostini are great party bites because they are infinitely customizable and don’t require any silverware. You can go trendy and elegant with a sweet potato crostini, or just a classic afternoon snack style tuna salad crostini. Whatever you top them with, you just have to make sure to use some great quality bread!
This caprese crostini only has a few ingredients; In fact only one more than the salad since this has bread. Because there are so few ingredients you really want to focus on quality. When each ingredient’s flavor is so defined you definitely do not want to cheap out.
How To Make Caprese Crostini
I suggest when you plan to make this recipe you buy all the ingredients (except the oil and balsamic) the day of. That will ensure you get the freshest quality ingredients possible.
1 Baguette – freshly baked is ideal.
250 grams Mozzarella Cheese
1 bunch Basil
Olive Oil – as needed
Balsamic Glassa – optional, to taste
While it is entirely optional, I do recommend toasting the baguette slices. You can use a toaster or toaster oven but I personally love using my grill pan with a bit of olive oil for those beautiful marks. Of course, if you don’t want to toast the bread at all you can skip it…but the word crostini itself does mean grilled or toasted bread.
Once all your bread is toasted you can just compile the caprese crostini right on your serving plate. I layer it cheese, basil, tomato, and then a drizzle of balsamic glassa. Enjoy!
- 1 Grill Pan | optional, or toaster/toaster oven
- 1 Baguette freshly baked is ideal.
- 250 grams Mozzarella Cheese
- 2-3 Tomatoes
- 1 bunch Basil
- Olive Oil as needed
- Balsamic Glassa optional, to taste
- Slice your baguette into about 1-2cm slices.
- Brush a grill pan with olive oil and lay down the bread slices to grill just for a few seconds each side. Bread on a hot grill can burn easily so make sure to watch them.
- Place your bread slices directly on your serving tray and then layer the caprese crostini. Lay down a slice of mozzarella, then a leaf of basil, then a slice of tomato. Drizzle with a bit of balsamic glassa to taste and serve. Enjoy!
Popular Canape Recipe Ideas
This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through the links it allows the site to make money at no additional cost to you. For more information please see Cooking To Entertain’s Policy page.
Leave a Reply