Yes, it’s another cocktail that uses butterfly pea flowers. Two weeks ago I posted how to perfectly make butterfly pea flower tea, and since then there has been about 7 different recipes on the site with this unique and trendy ingredient. This butterfly margarita is not much different than a standard margarita, except it has the addition of Creme de Butterfly and a decreased amount of Cointreau.
Like the Butterfly Sour, this drink also needs Creme de Butterfly, or Butterfly Pea Flower Liqueur. As this isn’t sold in stores (at least to my knowledge) you’ll have to make it yourself. No matter, I have full instructions, just click on this link.
I prefer my margaritas blended rather than on the rocks, so for that you will need a blender. I actually went out and bought a NutriBullet since I actually didn’t have a regular blender. I use an immersion blender for most of my cooking, so this is the first time I’ve bought a proper blender in a few years.
The best part about using a blender however is the simplicity. Just add all the ingredients to the blender with a ton of ice, give it a few pulses, and pour the butterfly margarita into a salt rimmed margarita glass. To rim a margarita glass, just wipe a piece of citrus along the edge, then roll or dip the edge in salt. Normally I prefer rock salt for margaritas, but I was out so had to just go with sea salt.
- Blender (optional)
- 2 oz Tequila 60 ml
- 1 oz Cointreau 30 ml, or similar triple sec
- 1 oz Creme de Butterfly 30 ml, homemade butterfly pea flower liqueur
- 3/4 oz Lime Juice 22.5 ml, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp Salt
- In a blender add all the ingredients and a heaping scoop of ice. Let run/pulse until you get your desired consistency.
- Rub a lime wedge around the edge of a class (can be the spent lime you used for the juice) and then roll the glass in salt.
- Pour the butterfly margarita into the glass, garnish with a citrus wheel, and serve.
This drink is part of my series: 5 COCKTAILS WITH BUTTERFLY PEA FLOWERS