Asparagus has to be one of my favorite vegetables. Asparagus goes great with red meat, white mean, fish, and even as part of vegetarian or vegan dishes. This easy recipe for roast asparagus is a perfect side dish for steak and only takes about 15 minutes!
For this recipe you can use thick or thin green asparagus stalks. They have to be fresh of course, canned will not work in this recipe. I’d also suggest avoiding white asparagus, because it needs a different preparation.
Best Roast Asparagus Recipe
Dishes that taste great while using just a few simple ingredients are some of the best recipes in my opinion. This roast asparagus recipe is no different with only 5 ingredients. As I cooked this dish while in Spain, I utilized some fantastic Spanish cheese to really elevate these asparagus.
- 500 grams Asparagus – Look for stalks that are fresh and firm. If they feel slimy or even just a bit squishy then avoid them.
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Granulated Garlic – or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2+1 tbsp Cheese – grated. I am using a Spanish manchego cheese, but you can use any hard salty cheese like pecorino romano or parmigiano reggiano
- 1 pinch Salt
The first step in this recipe is to cut off the ends of the asparagus. The ends can be hard and ‘woody’ and they do not roast well. So just slice them off before adding the rest of the ingredients.
Place the asparagus in a roasting dish. Drizzle over the olive oil and sprinkle over the rest of the ingredients, reserving one tablespoon of the cheese for later. Place the tray in an oven preheated to 220°C or 430°F and roast for about 15 minutes. If your asparagus are very skinny they only need about 10 minutes, so pay attention to them after that point.
Remove the roast asparagus from the oven and immediately sprinkle over the remainder of the cheese. You can also drizzle a little lemon juice on top for a burst of freshness.
- 1 Baking Dish
- 1 Oven
- 500 grams Asparagus fresh, green
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2+1 tbsp Cheese Grated. You can use any hard, salty cheese here, but I recommend an aged Spanish Manchego. Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano also work.
- 1 tsp Granulated Garlic
- 1 pinch Salt adjust to taste
- Even up your asparagus on a cutting board and slice off the bottom 2-3cm (about an inch).
- Place the asparagus in a baking dish and drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle with the rest of the ingredients except for 1 tbsp of the grated cheese. Toss a bit in the dish so every asparagus stalk is coated.
- Place in an oven preheated to 220C or 430 F and bake for about 15 minutes. If you are using really skinny asparagus then you only need about 10 minutes, so you can pull it out early.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and squeeze over a bit of fresh lemon juice if you like. Enjoy!