Pea Salad (With Bacon)!!
This herby and refreshing pea salad is a great way to use up that bag of frozen peas sitting in your freezer. It’s also a great dish to bring to potlucks or BBQs on those fabulous Summer evenings!
This recipe only has a few ingredients, and most of them are pantry/fridge staples. However that doesn’t mean you can’t change things up! Feel free to add or adjust any of the ingredients to better suit your tastes.
Easy Pea Salad Ingredients
This recipe is a great way to use up that bag of frozen peas in your freezer. But it’s also a great way to use up a lot of things in your fridge that are about to go bad. For example I had some green and red onion about to turn so I just added those in – and they worked so well.
1 cup Peas – frozen peas work great here, just let them defrost to room temperature before using. Frozen peas are already cooked before freezing so you don’t actually have to cook them again if you don’t want to.
5 strips Bacon – I chose a bacon with a high fat percentage because I like to add the rendered fat liquid to the pea salad.
1/2 Red Onion – diced
1/2 tsp Dill – chopped
1 tbsp Green Onion – chopped
1.5 tbsp Mayonnaise – you can use store bought or homemade mayonnaise, it is completely up to you.
1/2 tsp Salt – or add more to taste
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar – optional, and I don’t add it every time I make this pea salad, but I do find it adds a nice zing every once in a while.
The first thing you need to do to make this pea salad with bacon is to cook and chop the bacon. Next add the rest of the ingredients to a bowl (including the rendered bacon fat) and mix. I really like the mix of rendered fat and vinegar because it reminds me of a classic German potato salad – another BBQ side staple.
What To Serve With Pea Salad?
This pea salad with bacon recipe makes a tasty side dish for a variety of things. Some pairings I thing go particularly well are:
Pea Salad (With Bacon)
- 1 Bowl
- 1 cup Peas frozen peas work great here just let them defrost to room temperature before using. Frozen peas are already cooked before freezing so you don't actually have to cook them again if you don't want to.
- 5 strips Bacon I chose a bacon with a high fat percentage because I like to add the rendered fat liquid to the pea salad.
- 1/2 Red Onion diced
- 1/2 tsp Dill chopped
- 1 tbsp Green Onion chopped
- 1.5 tbsp Mayonnaise you can use store bought or homemade mayonnaise it is completely up to you.
- 1/2 tsp Salt or add more to taste
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar optional, and I don't add it every time I make this pea salad, but I do find it adds a nice zing every once in a while.
- Fry the bacon and then cut into pieces.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl included the rendered bacon fat in the pan and mix everything together. Serve cold and enjoy!
Best Pea Salad (with Bacon)
Popular Side Dishes
This recipe post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through the links it allows the site to make money at no additional cost to you. For more information please see Cooking To Entertain’s Policy page.