Continuing on with my “Greek Week” and after posting a delicious classic Tzatziki yesterday, comes another classic dish that’s super simple to make. This baked feta cheese dish is popular in many places over Greece, but perhaps most so in the Cyclades. I’ve seen it at pretty much every taverna I’ve been to, and it is one of Alona’s favorite dishes. I’ve seen baked feta cheese done many different ways, from a slice of cheese, a slice of tomato, and a slice of pepper stacked and baked, to something more akin to a casserole.
If You Like Greek Food, You’ll Probably Like Turkish Food. Check Out My Istanbul Food Tour Guide Here!
My version of baked feta cheese however is simple and perfect for sharing. After all, it is a meze. You can make this dish however spicy you want. As you can see in the image, I like it quite spicy with a lot of dried red pepper flakes, but of course you can leave them out completely if you wish.
I’ll probably be making this more and more when I am back home to host parties, so if I decide to change this recipe I’ll have to make an amendment, but so far this is working quite nicely in my opinion. Not to mention that after looking at the ingredients it’s pretty clear this is just a baked version of a classic horiatiki (greek salad).
Baked Feta Cheese Ingredients
100 grams Feta Cheese; crumbled by hand.
1/2 medium Tomato; chopped.
1/2 medium Green Bell Pepper; rough chopped.
1/2 small Red Onion; thinly sliced.
4 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Red Chili Flakes; or to taste.
Salt is optional, which is rare in my recipes, but the Feta can be extremely salty to begin with so use your best judgement.
Baked Feta Cheese Instructions
1. Add the tomato, green bell pepper, red onion, and olive oil to a bowl. Quickly mix and pour all contents into a baking dish. I like little round ones that I use for tapas (which are basically just Spanish mezes) especially because they can be baked and served in the same dish.
2. Crumble over the Feta cheese chunks.
3. Place in an oven pre-heated to 200 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with oregano and red chili flakes and serve the baked feta cheese immediately, and with some delicious crusty bread!
- 100 grams Feta Cheese
- 1/2 medium Tomato chopped
- 1/2 medium Green Bell Pepper roughly chopped
- 1/2 small Red Onion thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Red Chili Flakes to taste
- Salt Optional (as Feta is already quite salty)
- Add the tomato, green bell pepper, red onion, and olive oil to a bowl. Quickly mix and pour all contents into a baking dish. I like little round ones that I use for tapas (which are basically just Spanish mezes) especially because they can be baked and served in the same dish.
- Crumble over the Feta cheese chunks.
- Place in an oven pre-heated to 200 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with oregano and red chili flakes and serve immediately, and with some delicious crusty bread!
Popular Greek Recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through the links it allows the site to make money at no additional cost to you. For more information please see Cooking To Entertain’s Policy page.
Leave a Reply