The Bacon Sandwich
The bacon sandwich. A classic lunch with a huge amount of variety. Of course, the most popular bacon sandwich is the BLT, or, Bacon-Lettuce-Tomato. When you make bacon sandwiches at home you realize that not only is it insanely cheap compared to the $10+ you’re likely to pay at a diner, but you can make it exactly how YOU like it.
Like most recipes that only involve a few ingredients, it is important to use quality. For this sandwich that doesn’t mean just the bacon, but the bread and other fixins as well.
What Goes In A Bacon Sandwich?
I tend to keep it extremely simple. My best bacon sandwich is just some well done bacon, smashed avocado, and sliced ripe tomatoes. A little homemade mayo on the bottom slice of quality whole wheat bread, and a sprinkle of garlic powder before closing. That’s it!
I recommend toasting the bread before making the sandwich. This adds some good texture and prevents the mayo and smashed avocado from making everything a soggy mess.
The star ingredient of this sandwich is the bacon, after all it’s the namesake. You can use any bacon you like but I enjoy cooking my bacon until it’s quite crispy. That is just a personal decision though, you can fry your bacon to your preference.
After frying the bacon, remove it to a paper towel lined plate to sop up some excess fat. Then compile the sandwich. Build from the bottom, here’s an image that might help with the structure:
Sprinkle of Garlic Powder
Crispy Fried Bacon
Thin Layer of Mayonnaise
Make sure to cut the sandwich on a diagonal because that has been scientifically proven to make all sandwiches taste better.
The Bacon Sandwich
- 1 Pan
- 1 Knife
- 1 pack Bacon about 12 oz or 350 grams
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise store bought or homemade
- 1 large Avocado smashed
- 8 slices Whole Wheat Bread toasted
- 1 large Tomato sliced
- Garlic Powder optional
- Start by frying the bacon in a pan. At the same time you can toast your bread in a toaster or toaster oven. When bacon is cooked, remove and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- On the bottom bread spread a thin layer of mayonnaise, Then layer the bacon with some tomato layers, followed by some smashed avocado. Sprinkle a little garlic powder if you wish, then cover with the top bread.
- Slice diagonally because that is proven to make it taste better.
Tasty Sandwich Ideas
This recipe post my contain affiliate links. If you purchase through the links it allows the site to make money at no additional cost to you. For more information please see Cooking To Entertain’s Policy page.