Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich
So this recipe was kind of an accident. I was originally going to make Vol-Au-Vents because last week I made these vol-au-vents with whitefish poached in a shiitake mushroom cream sauce and I fell in love with that cooking style. This time I was going to do them with a prawns and avocado cold filling for hors d’ouevres, but the pastry didn’t rise as much as I wanted (it wasn’t cold enough), so instead I used the prawns in my gambas al ajillo pasta, and I used the avocado in this avocado egg salad sandwich.
This recipe is quite easy to make and doesn’t have a lot of ingredients at all. Not to mention you can get even more creative with the spices you yourself can add when you make this dish.
This recipe for avocado egg salad sandwich uses these puff pastry based biscuits as the bread. So you can serve them as little appetizers, or just give people 2-3 of them for breakfast. I personally ate 5 of them for breakfast, but I’m a bit of a glutton.
If you find that your avocados are too hard, you can soften them up by cutting them down the middle, and then popping them in the microwave for about a minute and a half. They will be hot, but at least they become soft enough to smash.
The only thing you kind of need for this recipe is a ring mold, or circular cookie cutter. This is because you will want to cut the disks of puff pastry in perfect even circles. However if you do not have proper ring molds, you can always use an upturned wine glass…that works in a pinch. I also used Trader Joe’s Everything But The Bagel Seasoning, which I pretty much have to pick up every time I go back to America!
Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich
- Ring Mold
- Baking Tray
- 500 grams Puff Pastry very cold
- 3 Eggs plus one extra egg yolk for egg wash (optional)
- 2 Avocados I used two small ones, but if you have large ones you should just use one instead.
- 1 tbsp Mayonnaise store bought or homemade
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp Black Pepper freshly cracked
- 1 tbsp Everything But The Bagel Seasoning
- Sea Salt to taste
- In a pot bring water to a boil. When boiling add the eggs. You will boil them for 10-11 minutes and then remove them into a bowl of cold water.
- Roll out your puff pastry and use a ring mold to cut 18 disks. If you can cut more go for it, I was just able to get 18 out of my 500 grams.
- Take a baking tray and place 9 disks of puff pastry down, give everything an egg wash, then put the other 9 right on top of the first nine. Give them an egg wash too, and a light sprinkling of coarse sea salt. Pop in the oven at 220 Celsius for 12 minutes (or whatever the instructions on your puff pastry package are if you are using store bought)
- In a bowl add the avocado and the peeled hard boiled eggs, along with the mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, and spices/seasonings. Mash everything together with a fork and mix it up.
- Let the puff pastry biscuits cool to room temperature and then cut them in half horizontally using a bread knife. Scoop some avocado egg salad into the middle and voila…avocado egg salad sandwich.